Monday, July 20, 2009

Kindergarten!

Have I told you that Ella is starting Kindergarten in about a month? I KNOW. We're playing "school" right now in an effort to prepare her. It's also the only way I can get her to look at the workbooks I bought. Oh, my well-intentioned naivety.

PLAN IN MY HEAD: Can't you just see it? We're sitting in the afternoon sunlight at the table, her hair perfectly braided, me showered and dressed. She practices drawing a "5" and exclaims with joy at her new found skills. We laugh, full of knowledge and the thrill of discovery.

REALITY: Mom, I don't want to do my math book. I want to color in my princess coloring book. Mom, that's not how I want to do it (because I'm obviously coloring the picture in wrong). Mom, can you get Gretchen out of here?

So we play.

Ella - When is snack time at this kindergarten?

Me - Kindergarten is for big kids, and it's not long enough for snack time. We don't have snack time in kindergarten.

Ella - (pause...) Well they should.

Me - Well, are you sick of coloring? Do you want to have recess now?

Ella - Yeah. I'm going to play with Pretend Kyle.

(Five minutes later, when Ella is frustrated and sitting on the floor...)

Me - What's wrong, you want to work together on something?

Ella - No, Fake Kyle doesn't want to play.

Luckily she has a playdate with Real Kyle tomorrow. She's super excited. I'm sure he'll want to play the whole time, and not be all moody and demanding like that annoying Fake Kyle.

2 comments:

luckyboy22 said...

Ella's got it easy, both Fake Angel AND Real Angel are moody and demanding all the time. And neither ever wants to put out.

luckyboy22 said...

Wow, can't believe I said that, sorry Fake Angel- I know you accept apologies. Love ya.