Sunday, June 1, 2014

Seriously

I GOT IT!!!  You guys, I got a picture of Gretchen mid-whine!  Now you guys can experience it just like I do!  Just imagine that she's saying in a very distressed tone, "But momma, I don't know what to dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo."  (Gretchen is often besieged with doubts about what to spend her precious time on.  She's constantly asking what she should do.  No seriously, ALL.  THE.  TIME.  I'm not sure why she keeps asking me, especially since I NEVER give her the answer she wants* but she perseveres.  She is very persistent.  That's a good quality, right?  RIGHT?)

*WHAT GRETCHEN MAY WANT: That we spend the next three hours making watermelon sugar cookies that she saw online, or order more "Poppin' Cookin'" sets from Japan, or to just run to Michael's REALLY FAST to get more modge podge and some googly eyes.  And on.  And on.  And on.

Luckily we try to stay busy, which is good and bad.  There isn't much time to be bored.  But then there's also no time to be bored.  And being bored is one of the best things for fueling imagination!  So our goal this summer is to spend more time being bored.  But not whining. 

We'll see how that goes.

Monday was a holiday so we had a sneak peek of summer.  Last minute we joined our friends for a beautiful hike in the Tahoe Meadows.  How long is that hike?  1.25 miles.  How long did it take us?  TWO HOURS.  What kind of pace is that?  Pathetic.  But that's what hiking with kids is.  Pathetic.  At least if you're trying to get a good time.  But if you're just out for adventure?  It's WONDERFUL.  And there's good snacks.

Look, real live tree-huggers!


Gretchen wasn't sure we captured "tree hugging" in the scene above, so she asked me to take a picture of this pose.  It looks like they're going to the Homecoming Dance.

Pretty sure you're not supposed to pick the flowers....

....or disturb the wildlife.
But OMG SO CUTE!
"Aren't hikes awesome?"
"Toooootaly!"
"AWESOME!!!!"
And so is this kid.  Who runs from my camera!!!  Why you run, Ella?  Why you no let me take pictures? 
Gretchen had a Pajama Party on Friday at kindergarten.  Look at how fun their teacher is!  They borrowed Alfie, the third grade's pet rabbit, and snuggled in for some flashlight book reading (GG is right next to Alfie's cage in the white pjs on the right). 
My sweet girl thought that someone had taken a bite of her cookie already.  Um, no.  IT'S BOOK SHAPED.  Also, AREN'T THESE AMAZING?!?!  My friend made them.  Just in case you missed it, she's amazing.

It's been a full-on-party weekend here.  After the PJ party at school, we visited our friend's house to hold their new baby chicks!  Look at that face!  (She thought they were kissing.  They weren't.)  Then after the party, we went to Costco.  Which is almost always a good time.  (Except for when I get cart road-rage around the samples.  MOVE YOUR D@*M CART!!!  JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE HANDING OUT ORANGE CHICKEN DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN BLOCK THE WHOLE AISLE!!!   I have some feelings about this.)

Friday night was BINGO night at Ella's school.  It was a bittersweet party, the last school event we'll attend there.  Sniff!  Ella said that it was boring.  But I had fun.  And they raised $900 with minimal volunteer hours.  So totally worth it!  Then yesterday we hosted a baby shower for our dear friend.  Once it was all set up I was happy and enjoyed opening our home to some lovely ladies.  But before I ran around like a mad-woman cleaning and cutting fruit and wrapping asparagus in filo dough (they were a big hit, highly recommend).  Then we had a BBQ at our friends.  And then I went home and collapsed.

This is Ella's last week at her school.  Tomorrow we're going to Virginia City to STEP BACK IN TIME and learn about how Mark Twain lived there for, like, two weeks back in 18-blah-blah-blah, but clearly that was significant enough to name about 30 roads in Northern Nevada after him. 

But anyways, look at me!  Who updated the blog two weeks in a row! 

But now I gotta go.  Gretchen and I have to finish those watermelon cookies.

Because yes, yes I am a sucker.  (Only 3 more hours & they'll be done!)

No comments: