Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Week Alone

Colby went out of town last Monday to attend a tradeshow & be all networky and stuff. He just got back a few hours ago. Seven days.

First it was great! There were WAAAAY less dishes. I didn't have to cook a nice dinner every night (not that it happens every night, but a lot of the time I try). The house stayed cleaner. The TV wasn't on all night. I could watch whatever I wanted. I was ALL OVER IT. I was cocky.

Then I started to get tired.

Then I got a HUGE job and stayed up working every night till 11. Then a toddler snuck into my bed every night and coughed in my face for three hours till I finally gave in and rallied enough to pour her a bowl of cereal and turn PBS kids on. (Praise to PBS kids. You don't know how much I appreciate the break you give me.) Then I was in charge of way too much crap last week (craft for my mom's group, because of course I'm the craft leader, right? Young Womens fundraiser straightened out. Volunteering in Ella's class, etc.) Not to mention the rush job and 16 sketches I whipped out. TIRED.

I'm so glad Colby's back. Right now HE'S the one yelling at the girls to clean up their room, not me. And HE'S the one doing PJ duty (an hour early, I might add.)

Last week I also did carpool. I love the kid we do carpool with. So does Ella. And Gretchen. Gretchen often shows her love by swatting him in the face and kicking him, but he's nice enough to let it slide (we have lots of talks with Gretchen about showing our friends we love them with kindness. Not flirtatious slapping.) While we were in the car, Ella said that there are three bad kids in her class.

Me: They're not "bad" sweetie, they just make bad choices sometimes.

Carpool Kid: That's right. Satan gets in their head and tells them to be bad.

Ella: Satan must get in my sister's head A LOT.

(The "devil made me do it" attitude makes me crazy. Dude people, you make your OWN decisions. But this was too funny, I had to share.)

Also, if any of you ever get a chance to burn a whole Christmas Tree in a bonfire, you should TOTALLY DO IT. But seriously? Make sure you've got at least 50' of clearance on all sides. We did this for our youth activity this week. It was AMAZING. Nothing like a little pyromania to help bond the kids, right? Ella was excited about the s'mores (or "smudges" as she thought they were called). The kids were excited about roasting Starburst (did you know about this trend? It's sweeping the nation, apparently. I didn't try them, but supposedly they're fabulous.)

And to round out the week, Ella had an ice-skating activity with the Girl Scouts yesterday. It was the first time for both the girls, and the first time in about 20 years for me. How do you think it went?

Here we are all cute and Ready For Anything!



And this is how it went. Gretchen's "help me!" pose.


Here's the "No, Seriously, Help Me" pose:


Ella was quite the sport. She went around three times (veeeeeryyy slowly while holding on to the side. But still, three times.) Gretchen and I went around twice.


Then we stopped and had snacks.


I have to say, it was SO FUN hangin' with the girl scouts. They kept coming up to Gretchen & offering to hold her other hand (I had one hand already). One particularly sweet girl said, "Do you know what? I'm living the girl scout law right now. I'm helping others." That's right, sweetie. (SO CUTE, right? Love it.)

So that was our week, what about yours?

No comments: